Friday, September 24, 2010

Cheap 72 Hour Kit!

I'm sure most of you already know what was happening with the wildfire in Herriman. Many people had to evacuate their homes when they had been given only 5 minutes to evacuate. 5 minutes?! That would not give me not enough time to gather everything I needed to get out. I would go insane!

But, there's a solution for this...is to have our 72 hour kits ready. At the moment when something should arise, we'll have our kits ready for us to grab and leave.

It's probably a good time for us to assemble or update our 72 hour kits. I'd better update my 72 hour kit and it's been years since I last checked.


A reader, Brea, sent me this wonderful spreadsheet with a list of the things we will need and on how we can get some of the items cheap without spending too much of our money. Here's the link HERE. To view lists, be sure to click the tabs on the top of the spreadsheet. You can make some changes the list yourself if you like. Be sure to add some cash to go with your kits in case if you need money.

I love the backpack idea because they are the easiest to carry around even if you have to go on foot. You could even use it as a pillow! ;)

You could get the flashlights for free at Harbor Freight by using coupons found in Sunday newspapers. I have gotten like 10 of them for free! These will be perfect for the 72 hour kits.

Another thing came into my mind are the pictures and important documents. I know pictures are one of the things we treasure the most. It's probably a good idea to scan all of the pictures, birth certificate, drivers license, insurance cards, and any important documents you may have. Download all of them into your flash drives or portable hard drive, put them in a ziploc bag, and then put it into your backpack where all your 72 hour items will be located.

Also, don't forget about your pets if you have them. Have a kit ready for them as well.

Once you have your 72 hour kits ready, then you'll be ready for anything without panicking. Remember if we are prepared, then we shall not fear.

No comments: